Guiding Students in Writing Data Response Answers Using Bloom’s Taxonomy for Critical Thinking, pp. 6 of 8

Sample 2: Post Test Answer

The Developed Countries have a higher average total household expenditure and hence, a lower percentage of household expenditure spent on food as compared to Less Developed Countries. The DCs such as US, UK and France have a total household income of US$21,788 to US$32,051 and the percentage of household expenditure spent on food is 6% to 14%. While the LDCs have a total household expenditure of US$541 to US$5118 and the percentage of household expenditure spent on food is 20% to 45%. 

We also noticed that the students spent a lot of time on the stage of Understanding and then concluded their answer by comparing and hence, reaching the stage of Analysing. Sample 3 suggests that the guide has provided students with a clear structure for writing their answers. However, this was only done for the portion of general trend, and the other part of the answer on analyzing the anomaly in the pattern was not looked into.

Sample 3: Post Test Answer

LDCs have a lesser average total household expenditure than DCs. For example, LDCs such as South Africa, Brazil, India and Kenya have average household expenditure of $541 to $5118 while DCs such as UK, US and France have average household expenditure of $21,778 to $32,051. LDCs have a higher percentage of household expenditure spent on food than DCs. This can be seen from LDCs such as South Africa, Brazil, India and Kenya spending 20% to 45% on food while DCs such as US, UK and France spent 6% to 14% on food. Overall, DCs have a higher average total expenditure and lower percentage of household expenditure spent on food.

Implications

The improvement shown in Analysis 1 was expected, but reinforces the point that the students were able to apply the guide to answering the questions. The fact that many of them had passed the post-test would also indicate the guide had helped in providing students with a thinking framework when approaching such questions. It is also an indication that there was retention of the steps given in the guide.

However, there are two main areas of concern. Firstly, the stronger students did not show much of a difference in their marks. Hence it begs the question of the usefulness of the guide in enriching the answers of such students. This suggests that the guide might be more useful for weaker students to aid their thinking and understanding, while another form of assistance needs to be provided for the better performing students.

Related Teaching Materials

AttachmentSize
annex403.21 KB

An Inspiring Quote

"[Open-mindedness] includes an active desire to listen to more sides than one; to give heed to facts from whatever source they come; to give full attention to alternative possibilities; to recognize the possibility of error even in the beliefs that are dearest to us."

~ John Dewey, How We Think

Newsletter Subscription

Subscribe to our newsletter and stay up-to-date with new journal issues!